The Royal Society of Biology (RSB) offers members unique opportunities to engage with the life sciences and share their passion for biology.
All members can take advantage of the following benefits:
- Subscription to our award-winning members’ magazine, The Biologist [BioNet members have e-version access only]
- Access to our Continuing Professional Development scheme
- Discounted training courses for varying levels of expertise
- Informative newsletters to stay up to date with the biosciences
- Invitations to a range of events
- Volunteering opportunities at outreach and engagement events
- Apply for exclusive member grants and awards
- Money-saving benefits, via RSB Perks
Additional benefits for associates (AMRSB), members (MRSB) and Fellows (FRSB):
- Recognition as a professional biologist via exclusive post nominal letters
- Opportunity to contribute to UK government policy work
- Opportunity to achieve Chartered or Registered status through our professional registers
- Opportunity to actively participate in committees and groups to strengthen your portfolio or CV
- Invitations to Fellows’ lunches [FRSB only]
- Professional Indemnity Insurance, via RSB Perks
How much does annual membership cost?
Student affiliate: £20
Associate (AMRSB): £93 (One off application fee of £15)
Member (MRSB): £106 - £156 (Dependent on experience; one off application fee of £15)
Fellow (FRSB): £219 (One off application fee of £18)
Discounts of up to 50% are available* to those who are in full-time education, retired, unemployed or on a career break, as well as for members of an RSB Member Organisation. Staff at HUBS institutions are eligible for a 50% discount on the first two years of RSB membership.
*excludes BioNet and student affiliate grades
Get in touch
Being elected as an RSB member
The Royal Society of Biology's Council is responsible for electing new members, however our membership team will be able to provide guidance about which grade to apply for and what evidence you will need to include in your application.
Our membership elections take place each quarter on the 1st January, 1st April, 1st July and 1st October. To ensure your application is considered we must have received it no less than 7 days prior to the election date.
RSB & ITN Productions
In partnership with ITN Productions, we created a video to celebrate 10 years of the RSB: